*** I'm riding 585 miles to help people with HIV / AIDS. Will you help me? ***

May 02, 2006

DOTR: Day On The Ride

75 miles (121 km)

I had a great day on Saturday. It wasn't only because I rode the longest distance (75 miles) ever, it was because I rode with 599 other ALC participants; experiencing their dedication and enthusiasm in reaching their goal, helping each other, encouraging each other, getting together for a common cause. On Saturday, 600 bike riders got together at Sports Basement in San Francisco, to participate in DOTR (Day On The Ride), to experience how a typical day on the event in June will be like and to get an overview of what to expect. I was one of them...

4:30 am:
I woke up. Had breakfast (i.e. filled my stomach as much as I could!) - waffle, peanut butter, syrup, milk, orange juice, fruit yogurt)

5:15 am:
Left home, locked the door, started walking towards the elevator

5:16 am:
No this is too cold, I need one more layer. Went back home, put on a long sleeve jersey underneath the short sleeve jersey and wind breaker.

5:20 am:
On my way to San Francisco. It's still dark. Listening to energy FM on the way.

6:00 am:
Is this true? Is it really raining in SF?? What happened to 81F (27C) from yesterday???

6:10 am:
I'm at Sports Basement. It's quite crowded. I park my bike and get my registration number. One goes over the bike frame, one goes on the helmet. Two wristband put on my arm: pink is for the prepaid lunch, red is for... color coordination? Not sure... I called Chris to meet him for the first time. He is another first timer ALC rider, we talked over email to be tentmates during the event. Non-snorer and quiet guy like me :-) And he provided all the pictures in this blog!

6:45 am:
Opening speech from ALC director Stephen Cadby. He says 2700 people registered for this years ride and together they raised $3.3 million! After the mandatory safety speech, we all held hands for a moment of silence. This very emotional moment was counterbalanced with Kurt's animated stretching exercises.

7:30 am:
...and we are on our way for the 75 mile bike ride! Check the cue sheet. We went over Golden Gate Bridge, then down to Sausalito and to Fairfax. I don't remember what time we reached the first stop, but I do remember the long line in front of porta potties! They had names like "Love Shack", "Midnight Slum". I used the one named "One at a time".

After Fairfax we rode to Cheese Factory in Marin. We passed through some beautiful hills. I had one chain dump, but nothing major. No flats this time! Weather was perfect; not cold, not hot, just about right. At mile 35 we reached Cheese Factory and ate our lunch in the park nearby: turkey sandvich, cookie, vitamin water, apple, grapes, pasta.

Weather got warmer on the way back. We rode in Taylor Park for about 4 miles, which was refreshing. I broke my record of 66 miles a little before Sausalito. And with the completion of 75 miles we got back to Sports Basement where a spaghetti dinner with cesar salad was waiting for us.

9:30 pm:
I was in my bed at 9:30 pm, sleeping like a baby :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only 598 other riders, honey! I couldn't get my sorry ass out of bed so I stayed home and rode 85 miles around the South Bay instead.

10:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home